The coolest Arduino Lab Platform ever...???

Using and Programming Arduino and other microcontrollers
vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 pm
LocationCOLON Wells, Somerset, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Re: The coolest Arduino Lab Platform ever...???

Postby vimes79 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:32 pm

Almurray42 wroteColon
vimes79 wroteColonIf anyone out there can give me some ideas or help then it would be most appreciated. Also if anyone has or has access to a decent CNC Machine that could cut all the above pieces (or most of them) in any medium other than foam then please get hold of me here as it could save a shed load of cash to have a model to have moulds created from (I will of course pay).

I May have access to a Rapid Prototype machine, either a CNC MILL to make an aluminium version, OR a 3D model of it built up by layers of hardened powder on a 3d Printer... Unfortunately I think it may only be the CNC mill which I can realistically have access to If i ask nicely! I'll mention it when i'm next working!

Yes, that would be great if you could find out.

The model I have already was made with a 3d ABS Plastic Printer and as such has some flaws and rough patches as you always get on these hobby type printers. Milled Aluminium would be perfect as its plenty hardy enough and nice and smooth to use for making moulds or any other process that requires prototyped parts.
If you could find out and let me know if its possible and how much it would cost in materials and obviously your time, then that would be great.
Supporter of Official Arduinos - BeagleBone - RasPi + EVE
-PROUD OWNER OF RepRap PRO MENDEL 3D PRINTER-
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

Twitter Feed : Raw_Gaming

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352
JoinedCOLON Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Sheffield UK

Postby dec0y7 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:48 am

With open source stuff like this I believe its more of an understanding between everyone that if your going to copy something your fine to do it as long as you.

A) don't do a one to one copy unless you have had the nod from the ordinal curator (which then they may ask for a share of the profits)

B) improve upon the design and show your improvements ie make the redesign and specs public

C) state why you improved the design ie
What faults you found

C) credit the ordinal curator

D) your well within your rights to copy protect your own work after the re-design ie the parts that YOU have designed from start to finish but not the whole thing (you could but its frowned on)

Hope this helped in some way, most of this was taken from different places when looking into the shapeoko cnc mill world.
I've also seen the same stated on other projects.

You could but its not something you have to do and its not really expected IF you have re-designed it and started fresh, but giving a small % of your profits to the curator.
tis Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:33 pm

dec0y7 wroteColonWith open source stuff like this I believe its more of an understanding between everyone that if your going to copy something your fine to do it as long as you.

A) don't do a one to one copy unless you have had the nod from the ordinal curator (which then they may ask for a share of the profits)

B) improve upon the design and show your improvements ie make the redesign and specs public

C) state why you improved the design ie
What faults you found

C) credit the ordinal curator

D) your well within your rights to copy protect your own work after the re-design ie the parts that YOU have designed from start to finish but not the whole thing (you could but its frowned on)

Hope this helped in some way, most of this was taken from different places when looking into the shapeoko cnc mill world.
I've also seen the same stated on other projects.

You could but its not something you have to do and its not really expected IF you have re-designed it and started fresh, but giving a small % of your profits to the curator.

Nice, my plan seems to fall under all of the above as its a much improved design using a faster and better finished process to build and also will fix some quite bad design flaws around the weakness in some of the joints and more complex shaped parts, it will also cut the number of individual parts down as some can be integrated by using a plastic moulding technique to build the design, I am fully intending on keeping the Original designer up to date and credited for the initial design (may cut him in on any profit if it does sell ok), finally my re-design is not a one to one copy but a design heavily influenced by the original.

I also believe that this product will be of interest to many Arduino users once the work has been done correcting the flaws, having a bit of a redesign on the current design and by using a better production method it is generating a product that people will genuinely want and find extremely useful for transporting or just working on an Arduino with a Proto-shield attached OR an Arduino connected to a 1/4 breadboard with a circuit on it without moving or damaging the work that's being carried, also with the 2 drawers for essential and common parts and with my redesign to shorten one of the drawers to include a battery compartment behind it with a either just a small hole for the persons own wiring to the battery or possibly even having it pre-wired to a break out header so the customer just adds a battery and then adds the 2 power leads from the header to the Arduino's power input via a 2.1mm standard barrel adaptor with 2 pins on the other end of the cable.

Thanks for the info, that's been alot of help.

Next job get the prototype process done and submitted to a plastics company for the initial small batch run.
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352

Postby dec0y7 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:46 pm

Hope it all goes well for you I really do.

You could have a reseller already in phenoptix as it will make a good add-on purchase when ordering from them.

Could even do an add on to it in the shape of extra storage, like little draws for different bits, resistors, caps, jumpers, headers etc that some how clips to the side or site on top, just a thought ;)

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:09 pm

I have been playing around with CAD and been coming up with some ideas for a add on/secondary unit for parts as it happens. Using the same drawer type/size as the case (so you can swap them in and out depending on what you need to carry) and it being just a single piece for the case/surround (possibly in two pieces to go together to for ease of manufacture) and including either 4 or 6 drawers all in one vertical column with separating lips between each so they are all supported separately and using a redesign of the original draws to give them about a 10% increase in holding volume whilst keeping the externals the same and having 2 of the drawers (maybe all) have a removable divider so you can turn them into 2 sections if needed.

I will get the latest designs of the case and the drawer unit up on here later for you all to check out and give feedback on.

I am thinking that Kickstarter or similar may be the way to go, it would only be a small target as production costs are going to be fairly low per unit so it wouldn't need many donors to make a target that would get production started and I could add a retailer option to buy 10 or 20 etc for discounted prices the more purchased and maybe even have one of the flat areas set up so a small acrylic piece can be dropped in and secured with the retailers web site address etched on and also the option for single buyers to have the little acrylic slab custom etched for one of the additional perks. If anyone has any ideas then please holler at me.

Obvioulsy I will give Phenoptix forum users a good price and Phenoptix can have first dibs on stocking them (if they even want to of course).

I need to get some more feedback from Arduino users but am slightly wary of posting too many images etc until I have the design tied down and at least one prototype made to the new design just incase someone else has the means and money to get this up and running faster then me.

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352

Postby dec0y7 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:54 pm

I tend to be more of an ideas person then doing something like your doing so I'm excited to watch something start from fresh and watch it grow.

I don't blame you for not posting to much info/pic until your ready as like you said it could be taken and used before you are finished. (secret forum needed)

If you do go down the kickstarter road then let us know and I'm sure we could help in anyway we could.

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:05 pm

1st set of quotes for Plastic Prototypes of my revised build of the Arduino Lab Platform has come back, 4 priced options -
First two are quotes for some super sleek finish to an almost glass-like smoothness using [SLA] Stereolithography = £1200 for 2 day turnaround and £870 for 8-10 day turn around!!!! :o

Second type is using [SLS] Selective Laser Sintering for type AAA "Exhibition Standard" finish (Basically perfect with everything sanded and buffed and no trace of runners and risers) - £400 for 2 day and £170 for 8-10 day (Which is pretty good really for a single run prototype to that level of finish. If I select a lower finish standard then I can get it down as low as £80 all in. Both time options are the same cost so this is their absolute lowest price. For rough finish - Snip and Ship they call it! with bits of the joints still in place and the whole thing requiring a good few hours work to get it to a finish you could show and photograph.
HOWEVER they have a min spend of £125 so I would either have to order extras of a couple of the pieces to bulk the order out or have two full models made if I wanted the budget option.

There are 5 levels in-between and including Rough as shit S&S and super sleek AAA so if I go with this firm it would most likely be the A or AA finish which is still to a super fine finish with no trace of any crap left behind and would be around the min spend mark. They also offer painting and other finishing options which are not too pricey either.

I will wait and see what some of the other places come back with. It really doesn't matter if I was to combine parts together to lower the part count as they work it on volume and the current design would actually be easier for them to make, for me to put together and then best for a production run.
Obviously the first type using SLA methods is for super high quality prototypes, not really needed for something like this. I think around the £125-175 mark is fair and it has to be done as Kickstarter now requires a working 1:1 scale prototype to a similar finish of the final product to pass their checks before launching.
The prices tell me one thing that im happy about... if that's how much it costs for a single run of 9 separate parts to a HQ finish, then to get a run of 50 or so made using a much cheaper form of moulded plastic manufacturing it means the prices for the final product will be fairly low and I should be able to get enough knocked out to get a good price for making them and make a fair return selling and without having to have 100's made to scrape a profit over a lot longer period.

I will keep you posted as more quotes come in.

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352

Postby dec0y7 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:10 am

Now that sound promising.

With the snap and option you could order 2 for the min spend and keep one on the shelve for show where it all started and the other for tinkering and showing.

Plus with the nine different parts you could go the pibow way and have different colours or let the customer customise with picking what colour they want for each part.

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:56 pm

dec0y7 wroteColonNow that sound promising.

With the snap and option you could order 2 for the min spend and keep one on the shelve for show where it all started and the other for tinkering and showing.

Plus with the nine different parts you could go the pibow way and have different colours or let the customer customise with picking what colour they want for each part.

If I go the Kickstarter route then I will be offering a version similar to the original 3D Printed version I have which is in different colours. I will have 3 or 4 colours up for each part then once kickstarter shows which the most common choices are then I will most likely release 3 mixed versions or possibly have 3 or 4 colours available in all the different parts so that when you order you will be able to select up to 3 coloured areas (Hinges, Main Body, Drawers)

I am most likely going to get 2 protos made using slightly different finishes, one that shows the design and workings the best and the 2nd will be made to a finish as close to how the final product will be finished from a production run.

I will most likely add one of the prototypes to kickstarter as a high value one off option so if someone wanted a one of a kind then it will be there with just 1/1 available (Prob do something like have a custom etched design on the Duino plate (The flat piece under the holder) and as I mentioned before have an area that can be removed and replaced with a small acrylic plate with custom text/logo.

I have been thinking about this today a little, this SHOULD sell well, If you own an Arduino then one of these would be great to have as a platform for building from and demoing breadboards and shields from... Right??? Especially if I can keep the price down to around £20 ish retail for the basic and £25 for the added cable and header for a battery and shortened drawer model (LiPol battery & charger extra (About £15 for a slim battery and one of various chargers available) but the 2 pin battery header will be there to make it easier)

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352

Postby dec0y7 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:52 pm

I thing it WILL sell well, as I've found out myself you need some storage for your new toy and bits, what better way to do it then this.

The 1/1 kickstarter is a good idea, who doesn't like a one-off :)

If you can keep the price around £20 then it works out at a steal and an excellent add-on for people new to it and people wanting to improve an existing set-up.

Plus you have the bonus of other success story's like the pibow etc which shows people want things like this.

Another add-on could be a mini multi meter ish thing that takes up one draw, just a simple 2 prongs that beeps once a connection is made, saves pulling the full size one out when just looking for a dodgy joint or making sure everything is connected before powering a breadboard/proto board.

Return to