The coolest Arduino Lab Platform ever...???

Using and Programming Arduino and other microcontrollers
vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 pm
LocationCOLON Wells, Somerset, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Re: The coolest Arduino Lab Platform ever...???

Postby vimes79 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:20 pm

Well that's the end of that idea! A large electronics firm just swept in, bought the design and have just published a prototype and given it plently of advertising and plan to stock a production run soon.
Not overly impressed! Especially with the original designer who obviously decided to sell the design which now makes continuing mine pointless as I can't price match or even get near to their level of support and production! Good job I hadn't paid the prototype studio to run those 2 protos off (set to be paid and final design in on this coming Tuesday when I get paid) or I would be about £300 in the hole! Being skint saved me money wasted this week.

So much for starting a kick starter. This is exactly why I didn't publish too many pics etc as a company with its own manufacturing gear has swept in seen potential and used their bigger and faster route to get launched quicker!

At least I now know for the next time about the best ways to get a design launched and the production methods involved as well as to keep my ideas under wraps until they are ready to be run.

++EDIT++
I take back my comments made about the company involved, I was pissed at them BUT its not their fault or problem. However not quite so happy with the designer of the original which inspired this as he knows im working on this product, has had numerous updates on progress and design changes and was set to take a cut of the profits. A simple heads up would of been nice as im sure this didnt happen over night.
I am glad that the product is getting some attention and has a backer that will make a good job of it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by 1 on vimes79, edited 0 times in total.
Supporter of Official Arduinos - BeagleBone - RasPi + EVE
-PROUD OWNER OF RepRap PRO MENDEL 3D PRINTER-
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

Twitter Feed : Raw_Gaming

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:57 pm

Wow you guys have been busy! Rough deal but that's the way it goes I'm afraid, can hardly blame adafruit as they most likely wouldn't know about your build or plans.

http://http://blog.makezine.com/2012/02/14/soapbox-the-unspoken-rules-of-open-source-hardware/ is a worthwhile read, as are Nathan from Sparkfun's comments on the Sparkfun blog - regarding the earlier question on open source rules / conventions.

Doesn't mean this is dead in the water though, if your version is improved lets all have a look at it! Publish it an see if the ideas are picked up and you'll be credited and maybe even dealt a slice of the pie on the next run. If not brush yourself down and keep buggering on!

The Wright brothers pioneered flight but were so litigious that they stiffed innovation in the us aviation market, so much so that when the USA entered the first world war they had to borrow aircraft from the French!

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:16 pm

Yup its just one of those things and risks you take with open source.
A bit pissed as the original designer was fully up to date and knew that I was using his design, making some changes to make it easier for cheaper and faster plastic production methods with the intention of putting it out to market and even knew about me looking into a patented version. He knew all of this and was in for a cut of the profits!
Its just annoying! I prob didn't help by posting, tweeting and showing photos of the thing all over the social networks when I first found the build, I wouldn't even be surprised if my initial mass posting led to the find by someone with the money and equipment to get things rolling quicker. Im not even that surprised that it got swept up, its a great product and was only a matter of time before one of the big names found it and ran with it, I just hoped I would get there first...

Am just glad that it happened today and not from Tuesday onwards as Tuesday morning was set up for me to pay the Fast Prototyping company to run me two prototypes off and would of been £250 down the pan! Im guessing they are going to be slightly pissed as they have spent a good bit of time helping me with the design, choice of plastics, giving me the walk through on using colours and the different processes for using colours on the Proto and the full run and also on the finish levels and walking me through the production process for both the prototypes and the production run etc... with what im guessing they also saw the potential of and knew that their quotes for the Proto and Production of 100-500 units was the best in terms of finish of product for the price and that I would certainly be using them for both as well as further models Oh well, im guessing they know better then anyone that this sort of thing happens. No point dwelling on it and at least I now know a good firm to use for prototyping future ideas and for running off small production runs in various plastics and methods.

The bigger picture is that A genuinely great product is out there now, people have seen it and now know its there and it has a good company backing it!

Anyway, onwards. I still have ideas for building on the initial design features and will go back to the drawing board and see if I cant come up with another product to make me some money and get me on my way to getting a decent 3D printer or even a sub £2000 laser cutter or my bigger goal of getting a hackerspace/makerspace set up in S.Somerset (not Bristol) to accommodate some of the great builders, makers, hackers and modders we have down here.
Next time I have an idea im not posting details till I have a prototype and everything ready to roll if its popular. I have some great ideas that the local frost faire inspired me to come up with for a different audience, I am going to be looking into those in the new year.
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352
JoinedCOLON Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Sheffield UK

Postby dec0y7 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:13 pm

That's is rough........ I was looking forward to seeing your grow, sorry to hear it as I know how much work went into this for you, and you could still go ahead and make something better ;)
tis Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:20 pm

Maybe, will wait and see what happens now and what improvments they make, I know for a fact they have two large issues to address that I tackled and after a lot of tinkering and advice , managed to solve, looking forward to how/if they fix those as if they don't or they do a poor job then they will have A) Problems and B) Lots of complaints!!! I have the perfect engineered solution, might sell it to them! :D

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352
JoinedCOLON Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Sheffield UK

Postby dec0y7 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:29 pm

or wait till its released in sort then release yours as the upgrade if they don't work it out, then run off the publicity they have drummed up ;)
tis Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

Return to