vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 pm
LocationCOLON Wells, Somerset, UK
CONTACTCOLON

The new Arduino Due

Postby vimes79 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:27 pm

So the new 32 Bit Arduino is starting to ship to people with early pre-orders today/tomorrow. What do people here on the Phenoptix Forums think about the new (must be adopted) big brother of the Arduino range and will you be getting yourself one?
    Also curious if Phenoptix are going to stock them as one of the UK's official Arduino retailers or if you are going to hold off till you see how they do elsewhere? What are other companies who sell Arduino's and the associated kit saying about them or is it all quiet?
    I don't think its going to be a massive surge of sales really, I think that over the next year or so that they will slowly start releasing more 32bit models (Most likely the R4 Uno or its replacement will be next, but I don't see the standard 8bit boards we are used to and love going anywhere for a very long time due to their user friendliness and ease of building and coding.
    The 32 Bit MCU I think is going to have its fair share of new problems and workarounds etc. Also since there is no DIP or even an easier to solder SMD version chip in that family, its going to make breadboard builds/boards almost impossible with the standard MCU being 128 Pin! I can see there being a new generation of breakout boards and bare bone units that work along side of a breadboard with just key pins broken out below to the breadboard and the rest of the pins broken out on top for jumper cables rather then being able to drop one in directly for obvious reasons. All the main suppliers of 3rd party Arduino boards, shields and add-ons (Such as Sparkfun, Seeed and Liquidware amongst many others all now have the tech to do very intricate SMD work with QFP packaged chips with insanely tight pin spacing using their own SMD placement equipment (or have suppliers that have the gear and have good rates set with them to print the new PCB's and then Place and Secure the tighter packaged IC's) so I don't think it will be too long before we start seeing clone boards and prob even bare bones kits with just the AT91SAM3X8E and ATmega16U2 devices pre-fitted... It will be interesting to watch this board and the 32bit Arduino in general develop and will certainly see some pretty impressive sketches/programs that can now fit in that huge amount of memory (am already thinking of how long the animations on my LoL can now be)...

To me they sure as heck do look tasty on paper with some impressive specs and some big promises from the Italian manufacture with 54 Digital I/O's (12 PWM's), 12 analog inputs, 4 UARTs, a 84 MHz clock speed on the Atmel made ARM Cortex-M3 based AT-SAM3X8E, a USB OTG capable connection, 4 DAC's (digital to analog), 2 TWI, a power jack, an SPI header, a JTAG header, a reset button and an erase button (I really like the idea of the erase button).
    I suppose that as technology is progressing so quickly, even things like the Arduino are given a fresh feel with a hefty upgrade like this.

The 84 Mhz ARM Cortex-M3 based Atmel SAM3X8E CPU is a sweet chip (again on paper) with a whopping half meg of flash memory and 96 KB of SRAM. That's some serious fire power for some big ol projects right there!
    They seem to be following suit and heading down the 3.3v route which looks as it is becoming the standard now. There are measures built into the board I believe for handling the fair amount of 5v shields and add-ons/breakouts and such out there and there are always well priced solutions from Adafruit and Sparkfun etc if you need to do something a little different..

For the money they are looking to be released at (£35-£42 depending where you look) I think I will be buying one, but I might wait a few months for it to be heavily tested by the community and see if it either performs very well or suffers from major floors and needs some fixing with a quickly released 2nd version or a lot of updates and quick fixes with jumpers and cut or shorted traces. Then I will decide if its worth buying or better off waiting for a fully fixed v2.0 to emerge (also that's right around Xmas so an easy gift for someone to buy me if it looks sound :D ). I am pretty confidant however that as the leading electronics prototyping board maker. that the Due will have already gone through some serious and torturing testing of all its features.

I know there are a few 16 and 32 bit "Arduino Compatible" boards out there such as the ChipKit Uno, but i'm still quite excited to see the official model from the guys in Italy to see how they did and how it runs.

One thing is for certain, over the next 6 months, now that Arduino have released an official 32Bit board, there is going to be a lot of shifting around to make full use of the new board and (hopefully) a whole new range of add ons and shields that make use of the power of the ARM Cortex MCU that is starting to become a standard style chip in any Prototyping/Dev/Eval Boards that are available now. I think thanks to the miniaturization of ALL components and the much lower price tag they carry, we are witnessing the beginning of the REAL end of DIP and Through Hole components now, which is sad as its a daunting task working with SM components even for experienced users, I just cant see a lot of the producers continuing to make the more expensive DIP and through Hole parts for more money for too much longer when in reality its only really hobbyists that still use them and it must be costing them a fortune to continue to produce them when they could swap to SMD parts which are far cheaper to produce now and are used by the majority of manufactures of PCB's for all electrical items from Toasters to TV's.
    Hopefully we will see some new things emerge from all this and stand out from the usual stuff we are all used to from existing solutions that don't seem to have changed very much for some time...

If you are planning on buying one or even if you are not, what would YOU do with that extra power and all the additions if or when you get one or had one?

HERE IS THE OFFICIAL DETAILS IF YOU ARE INTERESTED :

(FROM ARDUINO THEMSELVES IN A RELEASE TO ENGADGET MAGAZINE/WEBSITE)

Arduino Due

Overview

The Arduino Due is a micro-controller board based on the Atmel SAM3X8E ARM Cortex-M3 CPU (datasheet). It is the first Arduino board based on a 32-bit ARM core micro controller. It has 54 digital input/output pins (of which 12 can be used as PWM outputs), 12 analog inputs, 4 UARTs (hardware serial ports), a 84 MHz clock, an USB OTG capable connection, 4 DAC (digital to analog), 2 TWI, a power jack, an SPI header, a JTAG header, a reset button and an erase button.

Warning: Unlike other Arduino boards, the Arduino Due board runs at 3.3V. The maximum voltage that the I/O pins can tolerate is 3.3V. Providing higher voltages, like 5V to an I/O pin could damage the board.

The board contains everything needed to support the microcontroller; simply connect it to a computer with a USB cable or power it with a AC-to-DC adapter or battery to get started. The Due is compatible with all Arduino shields that work at 3.3V and are compliant with the 1.0 Arduino pinout.

The Due follows the 1.0 pinout:

TWI: SDA and SCL pins that are near to the AREF pin.
      The IOREF pin which allows an attached shield with the proper configuration to adapt to the voltage provided by the board. This enables shield compatibility with a 3.3V board like the Due and AVR-based boards which operate at 5V.
      An unconnected pin, reserved for future use.
      The Due has a dedicated forum for discussing the board : http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,87.0.html

ARM Core benefits

The Due has a 32-bit ARM core that can outperform typical 8-bit microcontroller boards. The most significant differences are:

A 32-bit core, that allows operations on 4 bytes wide data within a single CPU clock. (for more information look int type page).
      CPU Clock at 84 Mhz.
      96 KBytes of SRAM.
      512 KBytes of Flash memory for code.
      a DMA controller, that can relieve the CPU from doing memory intensive tasks.

Schematic, Reference Design & Pin Mapping
    EAGLE files: http://arduino-Due-reference-design.zip
    Schematic: http://arduino-Due-schematic.pdf
    SAM3X Pin Mapping: http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/PinMappingSAM3X

Summary
      Microcontroller AT91SAM3X8E
      Operating Voltage 3.3V
      Input Voltage (recommended) 7-12V
      Input Voltage (limits) 6-20V
      Digital I/O Pins 54 (of which 12 provide PWM output)
      Analog Input Pins 12
      Analog Outputs Pins 2 (DAC)
      Total DC Output Current on all I/O lines 130 mA
      DC Current for 3.3V Pin 800 mA
      DC Current for 5V Pin 800 mA
      Flash Memory 512 KB all available for the user applications
      SRAM 96 KB (two banks: 64KB and 32KB)
      Clock Speed 84 MHz

A Quick Google search will give you all the rest of the info (and there is A LOT of it)

Im going to be watching this with great interest and see how it goes, I really don't know yet which way it will go, if the boards work well and they keep the price reasonable AND keep the programming how it is (but with any additions the new MCU brings) then it could be a hit, but just as likely it could perform horribly in real life, be full of floors and prices could jump as newer parts are required for addons to be able to make full use of the ARM MCU. Stay Tuned!

Please post your thoughts.

***EDIT*** Phenoptix now have a very limited number of Official Arduino Dues in stock for just £37.99 (Inc VAT & Postage within UK)
    (Regular forum users can access a special code to get a nice little discount further down in this thread)

***All of the first batch of Due's have now been sold***
    Last edited by 3 on vimes79, edited 0 times in total.
    Supporter of Official Arduinos - BeagleBone - RasPi + EVE
    -PROUD OWNER OF RepRap PRO MENDEL 3D PRINTER-
    Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

Twitter Feed : Raw_Gaming

andytuk
    Harmless
    PostsCOLON 2
    JoinedCOLON Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:06 pm
    LocationCOLON Whittlesey, UK.
    CONTACTCOLON

Re: The new Arduino Due

Postby andytuk » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:18 pm

It would be rude of me not to get one of these. :)

xanthic
    Above Average
    PostsCOLON 87
    JoinedCOLON Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:03 am

Postby xanthic » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:43 pm

One of the things that attracted me to Arduino was the ability to use the chip on it's own. I've developed a couple of projects on the Uno, then dropped the programmed chip onto my own board. You can't easily do that with an SMD setup.

phenoptix
    Competent
    PostsCOLON 744
    JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:31 pm

We will be getting these in but due to a couple of issues with Uno supply we didn't place our order for them pre-release. We should have 5 of them next week!
    Also xanthic, regarding dropping out the chip, you'll find that using the board as an AVR programmer will speed up that process. It's also one of the few tutorials I've actually done on the forums!

xanthic
    Above Average
    PostsCOLON 87
    JoinedCOLON Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:03 am

Postby xanthic » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:12 pm

Yes, I have used that method. I am part way through building a board with a ZIF socket on it just for that. I have seen a kit recently with a nice PCB though. Much better than manky stripboard!

vimes79
    Competent
    PostsCOLON 152
    CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:51 am

I am so tempted by it, but so conflicted. I think I will more then likely end up buying one when they come into stock here, like Andy said, it would be rude not to get one... :D
    Do you have a selling price worked out yet Ben?
    There seem to be some pretty big fluctuations on the price that stores that do have stock or are expecting stock in the next 5 days seem to be quoting... Around the £42 mark (im guessing +Vat) seems to be the avg price.

I'm still kind of thinking about hanging on a while as I have only recently got myself an Official Arduino Mega ADK (Even tho it was given to me for free) and started playing around with integrating that with my HTC One X, so i'm thinking I may just stick with that for now and continue my current journey into (Intermediate level) coding on Arduino as well as the C's & Python.

Who's going to be the first to buy then and who is going to volunteer to review it for the Phenoptix forums?

I do like spending my money at Phenoptix and like the new look website a lot. It would be so cool if we could get a few more regular Phenoptix customers and even just people who have stopped by to pick up a pack of 50 LED's to contribute to the forums with reviews as well as thoughts and ideas when buying a new product here, especially now that they are stocking many more cool things from different suppliers to make and do. Also some of your LED creations would be sweet too like bigal344's cool as you like Aquarium lighting build currently in the "I'm Making" forum. I have an IoT 'MyTwitterBook' RGB LED based project in the planning stages and will def be coming here for the parts and posting about it here. I need to actually finish some of my many projects off to clear the assortment of jumbled cables, Arduinos, Breadboards, Proto-Perma boards and other bits I have built recently and get them all individually tidied and if working then into project cases for display and use or stripped back down if they never made it off the bread board and back into the parts racking. I will have to take a pic of my bench and post here as it is insane how much crap I have managed to fit on a 10'x3' bench and the 2x 10' shelves above it too!

Loads of other online electronics stores have forums and some are even well used and have alot of members. It would be great to get ppl adding more content here as it would hopefully mean more sales for Phenoptix which means stock moving quicker and hopefully more new cool things for us to spend our cash on!!!

There, a not-to-excessive midsize post only drifting slightly (well almost slightly) off topic! Still need to keep working on getting my word count down further!
    32 Bit Arduino - WOOT! ;)
    Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

phenoptix
    Competent
    PostsCOLON 744

Postby phenoptix » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:00 pm

Nice length post that Vimesy! I should be able to bring them in at around £42 including VAT, maybe better later on depending how they sell. I'll put the listing on the website and link it on here before they are generally searchable, so you forumites get first dibs.
    As for bringing more people to the forums that's down to me really, need to ad some more content! Thanks to all of you for your efforts too, keeps me coming back!

phenoptix
    Competent
    PostsCOLON 744

Postby phenoptix » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:26 pm

Just got them in folks - only five of them so when they're gone they're gone!
    Little bonus for you guys if you're quick...

Untitled-1.gif

Discount code for a little bit off!
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dec0y7
    Competent
    PostsCOLON 352
    JoinedCOLON Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am
    LocationCOLON Sheffield UK

Postby dec0y7 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:15 pm

Really need to get into this :( always think I'm missing out with every post I see on facebook/twitter/google+
    tis Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

vimes79
    Competent
    PostsCOLON 152
    CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:48 pm

Arghhh Cant get the discount code to work, keep getting "Unable to find a valid discount matching the code entered"

*EDIT*
    OK Worked it out...

They must of just been testing us to ensure we were on our toes & put two letters the wrong way round...

For the correct code the LAST 2 letters that is in the code in the image (for us special people) need to be swapped around, it will then work when entered at checkout and knock a chunk off the price.

Thanks for the really great price! In the end I just couldn't resist buying one

And for that price, it has got to be the cheapest I have seen so far... Its less then the Official Arduino Mega! And alot less then other UK stockists are charging for Due's (if they have any in stock), some places look ok price wise and then you go to check out and get smacked with 20% for VAT and then a min of £4-£5 for standard 1st Class postage and £6+ for recorded delivery £7.50 for special delivery for this item it would be £44.39 at a similar sized online UK hobby electronics store.

Phenoptix FTW again! And saved enough for a Pint! Hurrah!!!
    Last edited by 2 on vimes79, edited 0 times in total.

Return to