Raspberry Pi - got one, now what?

Using and Programming Arduino and other microcontrollers
xanthic
Above Average
PostsCOLON 87
JoinedCOLON Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:03 am

Raspberry Pi - got one, now what?

Postby xanthic » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:55 pm

My Pi finally arrived. Installed Wheezy. It works. Now what do I do with it? Anyone got any projects going/planned for theirs?

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Re: Raspberry Pi - got one, now what?

Postby phenoptix » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:47 pm

Congrats! I buckled and got one off eBay... Media server? Hold out for Android 4.0. Put it into a gameboy case and call it a Pi Boy? Network radio? What are you into?

xanthic
Above Average
PostsCOLON 87

Postby xanthic » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:38 am

I've made a few things with Arduinos; the aquarium lighting, a couple of gaussmeters, weatherstations - stuff that I see microprocessors do well. For the moment, Pi sits between that and a "proper" computer. I might wait and see how the Android development comes along...

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744

Postby phenoptix » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:26 pm

I just made one of these for mine. Doesn't make it any more useful though!

xanthic
Above Average
PostsCOLON 87

Postby xanthic » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:36 am

Making that sort of thing is exactly why I want a laser cutter! Are you planning on making any to sell?

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744

Postby phenoptix » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:07 pm

That's the reason we bought one actually. Just discussing the finer points with Adafruit who made this particular design of Pi Box. Lots of other cool things we can make and sell too so quite excited by it all. Laser cutters are awesome by the way. Get one when you can!

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426
JoinedCOLON Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:21 pm
LocationCOLON Crewkerne,Somerset

Postby bigal344 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:26 pm

Have been doing some reading about the Raspberry's and its quite interesting, and there seem to be a multitude of things that you can do with them.
As much as my heart is saying 'get one, get one!', I really ought to concentrate on my other projects and learning more Arduino stuff.
The laser cut boxes are pure art, saw the pictures on the blog, and the trial runs!! :oops:

Today I have been mostly Nyaning.

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744

Postby phenoptix » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:52 pm

No burning cheeks on the experimentation runs of the box build! It was excellent fun and I was able to verify that the given speeds and powers recommend in the manual are correct, and in future I probably shouldn't waste too much time and materials on verifying their accuracy...

I've not taken time to get to know my raspberry pi though, I should spend some time with it and with the Arduino too.

Return to