Solar powered LEDs and UV LEDs

Got a project in mind? Post it in here to get help from the forums. No idea too crazy or mundane!
Karen
Harmless
PostsCOLON 3
JoinedCOLON Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:03 pm

Solar powered LEDs and UV LEDs

Postby Karen » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:07 pm

I was hoping you could advise me on what products I would need to purchase for creating the smallest possible solar powered light which would change from a regular LED lights to UV LEDs at choice, with the use of a touch/heat sensitive switch. I intend to potentially adopt this technology into my silversmithing and jewellery so it is important that the overall size of the components are relatively small and safe for use in this way.

Thank you

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Re: Solar powered LEDs and UV LEDs

Postby phenoptix » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:00 pm

Hi Karen, to help with the advice can I start with a couple of questions? Why the small size? Why the heat/touch switch?
For the UV / regular lights we can do that with either a floodlight or spotlight board, although with those it would mean a higher voltage, which we might not have from the power source.
With solar it's best to run the panel as a charging device for a lithium battery and then run the LEDs from that.
What's the ultimate purpose of the lamp? Just so I have some idea of the power it would need.

Karen
Harmless
PostsCOLON 3

Postby Karen » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:47 am

Thanks for getting back to me. Well the small size is so that the lights would be proportionate to my jewellery and silversmithing. Ideally I can fit the electronics into my work without having to make things larger to accommodate for the lights etc. Ideally I could have something small enough to fit into my jewellery, even as small as one or two few centimetres in size. The silversmithing allows for a larger size so could potentially be around 10cm or so in the work. I am keen to see how small I can make the device first before adapting the size accordingly to my work.

For my silversmithing I was keen on a heat/touch switch so that everything would be encased inside my work and have nothing exposed. If there was to be a regular switch it would need to be a good quality metal one, not plastic as I don't want the quality of my work to be let down with something like that. Really I am open to any type of switch, just as long as it looks the part!
I would be keen to try the floodlight and spotlight boards to see what works best.

Is it possible to charge up the lithium battery with the solar panels and then detach the battery from the solar panels to then charge the lights with it for a short while?

The lights will either be set beneath frosted glass or transparent crystals to illuminate with regular lights during the day and then bring out the fluorescent qualities in the minerals at night with the UV lights. So a type of light box. I am also considering having the lights exposed as this is more realistic for my jewellery so the lights would be illuminating stones in brooches/pendants etc. However much of this is dependant on what can be achieved with the lights so I am open minded for the purpose. It would be good to see how bright the lights can be but I might not need them to be too bright for the exposed jewellery ones as I don't want to blind anyone with the lights!

Rich
Above Average
PostsCOLON 89
JoinedCOLON Fri May 04, 2012 12:43 am
LocationCOLON Chesterfield
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Rich » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:38 am

Well that is as clear as mud. How can you have LEDs inside jewellery? Charging LEDs?? Never heard of that.
Why not just buy a multicolour strip and plug it in?

Karen
Harmless
PostsCOLON 3

Postby Karen » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:54 am

Apologies for the complexity of my project, I am just hoping to explore the possibilities of the lights in my work, so am open to any suggestions. I create contemporary jewellery, not the commercial jewellery you find on the high street, so that allows for me to be more creative with my materials and integrating lights into my jewellery would be great. Many jewellers have already done this too, so it is possible. There appear to be rechargeable LEDs out there, but I'm not sure if any are available on a small scale.

So any advice would be appreciated, thanks

Return to