Need some funky lighting for my prize wheels

Got a project in mind? Post it in here to get help from the forums. No idea too crazy or mundane!
Blackdoggames
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 6
JoinedCOLON Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:33 pm

Need some funky lighting for my prize wheels

Postby Blackdoggames » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:45 pm

hi all
I'm in the process of building a prototype Prize wheel with some digital LEDs.
Would like to have about 8 strips coming out of the centre of the wheel to produce patterns in between each segment
My website link is here just to give you an idea what sort of thing we do. http://blackdoggames.co.uk/prize-wheels ... ze-wheels/.
As you can see they are quite basic and I think they could do with something else
We have made them with LEDs around the edge but I don't know how to put a series of strips together to produce patterns.
Any help would be appreciated.
An American company does something similar and we would like to produce things like theirs
Their website. Www.spinningdesigns.com

Thanks

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Re: Need some funky lighting for my prize wheels

Postby phenoptix » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:38 pm

You've come to the right place! I'm sure we can help you with some designs that knock they US company out of the park. The addressable LED products that we sell would be really good. You'd need a little controller but you can make them really really small. What sort of set up would you like to start with and we can help you set up.

Blackdoggames
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 6

Postby Blackdoggames » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:37 pm

Ok looks cool
I want to experiment with a 5m lead i have here first and was wondering if i could cut the length into smaller pieces and join them back together to form a pattern of straight lights that come out from the centre?
but now youve shown me your set up ,all i have to do is drill holes in my wheel front and let them poke through?

that could work and also We could offer signs for our customers that do all sorts of fancy things!
what would i need to set up and how many leds do you do as a rule?

Blackdoggames
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 6

Postby Blackdoggames » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:06 pm

one problem though
it needs to be wireless?
i do get some little battery packs in but they are 12v

what battery packs could you recommend?

or alternatively is there a way of having power wired to a moving,spinning object??!! :?

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745

Postby phenoptix » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:38 pm

Not wirelessly controlled but powered you mean? I would go for a lithium polymer battery like this. We'll have them back in stock next week.

Yes with those LEDs you drill and then push them through. You need a controller to tell them what to do but these can be made to be tiny. With a bit of coding (we can help with that!) you can easily make them do all sorts of stuff. Even get fancier and put acceleration sensors in and have the lights react to the speed, but that's perhaps getting ahead of ourselves! The product linked comes in a 25 and a 50 length but you can use more. It's going to depend on your battery power to be honest. That we'll have to test and see what you can get!

Blackdoggames
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 6

Postby Blackdoggames » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:16 pm

yep just wireless power would be good
is 12v too much?
acceleration sensors sound great
can you get lights to follow around the wheel and stop at random sections? now that would be good!
my wheels are made from 18mm mdf so would i need to make a pocket behind and then a drill through hole at the last 1.5mm?
as i said before , ive got a 5m length of addressable lead, can it be cut into strips?
if i can get this done it may be quite popular for our corporate clients who have exhibitions
so any ideas you have would be mutually beneficial

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745

Postby phenoptix » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:24 am

Most of the addressable products at 5v so 12v would kill them!
Most strip you can cut. What chip does the stuff you have use? Was it from us?

Blackdoggames
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 6

Postby Blackdoggames » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:48 pm

no it was a sample i got in from china before i knew about you guys
dont know what chip it is.
so if i got the 50 and a controller of some sort with battery and whatever else i need We could get it to do stuff like exploding out from the centre and give the impression of the lights spinning around?

Blackdoggames
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 6

Postby Blackdoggames » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:52 pm

do you do dmx lighting as well?
I may have to do some table centres with leds attached to acrylic shapes
what sort of lights can you do that could sit on a table and hold a piece of acrylic?

skyfall
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 7
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:03 am

Postby skyfall » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:35 pm

Hey I have question I really like your website, I want to create something similar for myself so I can showcase my projects and my girlfriend's too - how have you done that? is it self hosted or managed hosting? I was wondering what's best to go with, I want it to be professional enough that I can share it and use it on CVs etc - what have you gone with? I was thinking of using these guys: http://www.1and1.com/managed-hosting do you know anything about that? any help appreciated, cheers!

Return to