Car Puddle Light's, Wing Mirror Install

Got a project in mind? Post it in here to get help from the forums. No idea too crazy or mundane!
aturi83
Harmless
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:21 pm

Car Puddle Light's, Wing Mirror Install

Postby aturi83 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:28 pm

Hi everyone, bought a few things from the company on ebay, well impressed and found this forum via a post made by a Rover 75 driver in the automotive section a while ago :)

Just wondering what products are available to create some puddle lights for my Rover 75. What I need is:

Weather Proof - not going to be rained on, depends on where I'm going to install the lights :) - Most likely under the wing mirrors.

Space - Need max lighting in a space of probably around 4 cm.

I've seen these lighting strips that can be cut into small strips, but I'm unsure of their light output.

As an example see: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128667

Don't want anything so bling, but that's what puddle lights are :))

Cheers :)

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm
LocationCOLON Bridgwater, Somerset, England
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Car Puddle Light's, Wing Mirror Install

Postby Almurray42 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Hi Aturi - Welcome to the forums!

From what I have gathered these puddle lights are either for beneath the exterior door handles or underneath the wingmirrors and come on for a specified amount of time when the car is unlocked? Or did you want them to be permanently on? (Not sure about how legal it is to actually drive along with puddle lights)

How do you want them to be mounted? - Do you want them to be in small boxes/units that you can remove or are you hoping to incorporate them into the car wingmirrors/handles themselves?

My first thought would jump towards PLCC2 Surface mount Led's as they are very bright for the size and wide angle. You would have to somehow get power to these from inside the car which would need to be wired to the unlock or ignition or however you want the lights to be linked. Using these small Led's you could either produce a makeshift mini circuit board or solder small wires directly and insulate it with hot glue or something similar.

If you can expand on some information then hopefully we can help you further! - Sorry for the slow reply, we have all been busy as I assume!

Regards,
Al
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

Rich
Above Average
PostsCOLON 89
JoinedCOLON Fri May 04, 2012 12:43 am
LocationCOLON Chesterfield
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Car Puddle Light's, Wing Mirror Install

Postby Rich » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:40 am

I'm sure they're under the doors on my mini. They come on when the door is open