Help want to build Aqua ray leds

Got a project in mind? Post it in here to get help from the forums. No idea too crazy or mundane!
jamoscotty
Harmless
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:55 pm

Help want to build Aqua ray leds

Postby jamoscotty » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:02 pm

Hi guys, does any one know were to get the super bright leds that aqua ray use in the aquarium lighting , i just need the bright white light leds and fiji blue and if any one knows of any diagrams and were i can source casing and power pack and any thing else i need, would be very grateful , i wanted to do this as they are so expensive and i have wired lots of things safely so if any one could help cheers guys :)

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Re: Help want to build Aqua ray leds

Postby phenoptix » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:05 pm

Apologies for the quiet round here! All depends on the lighting density you need. Probably not a massive amount. From what little I know most people tend to use some LED strip. Do you have a link of the sort of thing you're looking to replicate?

xanthic
Above Average
PostsCOLON 87
JoinedCOLON Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:03 am

Re: Help want to build Aqua ray leds

Postby xanthic » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:40 pm

Here are the lights I bought - Image

from http://www.litewave.co.uk/prod_cat/C_4-custom-led-tape--splashproof_54.shtml.

Not the cheapest, but they were doing custom lengths of silicone sealed strips which I needed for my tank. I went for sealed as the lid had space to attach them, but no room for a splash guard or similar. There are 5 strips in the pic (2 at 90 degrees). They don't put out as much as the fluorescents, but they were a bit overpowered anyway.

Another good reason to go LEDs is that you don't get the phasing effect of the tubes pulsing at 50 Hz. Too fast for most humans to see (though you might catch it with your peripheral vision). To small animals with a smaller and faster nervous system, it must be like being in a strobe lit disco. LEDs running off a nice regulated PSU is much nicer. My fish do seem a bit calmer since I put it in.

Return to