led for microscope

Got a project in mind? Post it in here to get help from the forums. No idea too crazy or mundane!
athens2
Harmless
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:51 pm

led for microscope

Postby athens2 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:51 pm

Hello,
Saw your item on Click.

I have a microscope with a built in halogen bulb (12v I think, mains
powered and adjustable light strength). The heat from this bulb
underneath the microscope stage fries the live specimens I take from
rock pools to show people microscopic life they might find there.

I can't afford a modern new microscope so looking for a white led light
I can put in place of the halogen bulb. Ideally to run off the same
12volt power supply and, if possible, variable but I read this is not
so easy with leds. Would your Festoon bulbs work in this situation and
do you know of any circuit I could use them in? I know nothing about
electronics but happy to get my fingers burnt.

This is a very long shot but ......Thanks

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352
JoinedCOLON Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Sheffield UK

Re: led for microscope

Postby dec0y7 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:37 pm

Hi

I'm guessing its this on that your are asking about
www.phenoptix.com/collections/leds/prod ... oat-camper

Having used the white superflux before I can say with all honesty that they are bright, very bright and having 6 will should light up the dark side of the moon........ Ok not that bright but you get the idea.

It runs off 12v so in theory it will work for what you want it for, will just be a case of how you would fit it.

For the price I would say, just give it a shot and let us know how it goes.
some pics would be nice once done as it could come in handy for others to see how its done.
tis Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:37 pm

As explained on the email the problem with a straight replacement is the lack of dimming. For that we need to use PWM. I think a board were we can have a small micro using a potentiometer to adjust the brightness would be the ideal. Do you have any pictures of the housing? Did you say 2" x 2" footprint on your email?

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:46 pm

Little update on this, at long long last I've built a small dimmer circuit. Nice and simple, hopefully very cheap to build and I'd like to put it in a kit. Only breadboarded at the moment so I'll solder one together and have a play with it so we can run it with a 12V setup and see what sort of current we can run through it - actually I know the latter it's 800mA but I want to quantify that.

athens2
Harmless
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:51 pm

Postby athens2 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:55 pm

phenoptix wroteColonLittle update on this, at long long last I've built a small dimmer circuit. Nice and simple, hopefully very cheap to build and I'd like to put it in a kit. Only breadboarded at the moment so I'll solder one together and have a play with it so we can run it with a 12V setup and see what sort of current we can run through it - actually I know the latter it's 800mA but I want to quantify that.

Hello,

I've taken my microscope apart and it has a 6V, not 12V bulb, marked 5W. I have two pictures but haven't worked out how to upload them with this reply. the depth inside the microscope base is 1 1/4 inch. There is 3/4 inch gap between centre the stage hole, where light exits base, and the baffle protecting transformer from the halogen bulb. Other dimensions are 4 inches by 5 inches, if I remove the current bulb housing. I'll attach pics as soon as I work out how to.

Thanks

Kahanho0
Harmless
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:58 am

Postby Kahanho0 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:17 am

Hey Arakin, welcome to the forums! Did the guys help you find what you need? I'll get some more ideas fired your way if not.

Return to