Analogue-digital video converter

Got a project in mind? Post it in here to get help from the forums. No idea too crazy or mundane!
Marp
Harmless
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Analogue-digital video converter

Postby Marp » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:19 pm

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and new to "techy" DIY, although I have been making things out of randomly salvaged stuff for years. I can use a soldering iron and have a very basic knowledge of electrical circuits.

I have been given a digital satellite box that I want to plug into an existing system that presently comprises an internet TV decoder linked to an LG monitor using an HDMI lead. The problem is the LG monitor only has digital inputs - HDMI, D-Sub and VGA, while the sat box only has RGB and SCART out. I've been told there's no way to directly connect the two without an analogue-digital converter. (I can't plug the sat box into the monitor via the TV decoder because the analogue and digital circuits in the TV decoder are separate.)

Being close to my wallet, I don't want to shell out 75 quid (or more) to plug a sat box I got free into a monitor I got free. Is there any cheaper way to build an adc that can be used for the purpose? Alternatively, is there anything I might be able to cannibalize to the same end?

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352
JoinedCOLON Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Sheffield UK

Re: Analogue-digital video converter

Postby dec0y7 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:01 am

Hi Marp and welcome to the forum.

While I can't help you with this, I'm sure one of the other members on here will come along and help in anyway they can
tis Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Re: Analogue-digital video converter

Postby phenoptix » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:39 pm

I'd love to work on a converter but as has been pointed out a cable for £4 will do it quite well! I think an HDMI to VGA would be quite desirable for the upcoming educational version of the Raspberry Pi, as well as PS2 to USB converters. That way schools can use their old tech with the new!

Return to