2 components needed for DP Build...

Got a project in mind? Post it in here to get help from the forums. No idea too crazy or mundane!
vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 pm
LocationCOLON Wells, Somerset, UK
CONTACTCOLON

2 components needed for DP Build...

Postby vimes79 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:42 am

Right, so I have decided to take a crack at one of my Dangerous Prototypes PCB's of which I have a few and 2 more inbound.

Im doing the USB IR Toy first in its through hole kit form. Its an awesome little gadget for recording, copying, decrypting and re-sending IR codes from a huge list of devices.
You cab buy the fully made SMD version from Seeed but I picked up the PCB Only in the Seeed Xmas sale for just $5 (and since I was also ordering my GPRS shield at the time the postage doesn't really count. The finished SMD model of it is $20 + $4 shipping so I really want to come in under that for the finished board.

I have all the parts together after raking through my components drawer unit and my salvaged parts box (Where I found exactly the right IR receiver and transmitter) and have everything to build it except 2 of the most crucial parts...

I need 2 parts and was wondering if anyone had them here in an old project you don't use any more or spare in the depths of you kit drawers/boxes.
They are :
1) 1x BC547B NPN Transistor (TO92)
2) 1x PIC18F2550 28pin DIP MCU

Both are available from Farnell at a reasonable price but they have a min £20 spend + Postage and I don't want to and cant really afford to fill an order out with parts I don't need.
The trannies are not such an issue as they are available on Ebay for £1.99 for 10 but again if someone has one spare that would be better just put in an envelope ans sent 2nd class.
The PIC MCU is also available on eBay but from one seller who is a total rip off on IC Prices, He quoted me £44 for the Parallax Propeller I needed for my YBox2 a couple weeks back and I ended up buying all the parts inc the Prop, Ethernet controller and EEPROM Chip for £20.03 with free shipping from Farnell and that was with me bulking the order out by 4 or 5 quid.

As you all know yesterday I dropped £500 on my new 3D printer and £60 on some spools of PLA and ABS Filament so until the 18th im pretty skint.
If someone has these two parts then I will pay them back by printing any thing from Thingiverse and post it to them (Nothing over 100x100x60mm and no solid bricks!)

If you can help then give me a shout, if no one can then I will order a pack of 10 trannies and wait a while to get the PIC MCU Chip.

The only other option is if any one is planning a Farnell order then let me know and I can Paypal you the funds for the 2 +shipping to me and you can add them onto your order then send on to me when they arrive,

Cheers
Supporter of Official Arduinos - BeagleBone - RasPi + EVE
-PROUD OWNER OF RepRap PRO MENDEL 3D PRINTER-
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

Twitter Feed : Raw_Gaming

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352
JoinedCOLON Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Sheffield UK

Re: 2 components needed for DP Build...

Postby dec0y7 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:37 pm

Sorry I can't help with the parts you need, I hope someone here can help out with this.

I can't wait till you get your printer as we will be able to see the amazing things you will do with it, plus when your next idea comes around (like the case) you won't have to wait for a place and price on a proto.
tis Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

xanthic
Above Average
PostsCOLON 87
JoinedCOLON Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:03 am

Postby xanthic » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:41 pm

Have you looked on bitsbox.co.uk? I don't think they have minimum postage. I've used them before, pretty good service

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 pm
LocationCOLON Wells, Somerset, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:39 pm

@Xanthic, checked that store, they had the trannies bit not the IC. Thanks anyway, had never heard of them and now O know! Am going to bite the bullet and order a bag of 10 of the trannies and use the IC selling store I HATE to overpay for the PIC MCU. It still isn't expensive by any means but am now scraping every penny to get a few reels of PLA and ABS in then keep saving to get the £199 to buy the triple colour/mat kit from RepRapPro which includes the extra 2 extruder units with motors, gears and wiring along with a spare control board (that I could hang on to or just sell on eBay for £75) plus all the extra fittings and adjusters.

@Decoy, Running prototypes is my main reason for buying a 3D Printer that will print PLA and ABS and also why I went with RepRapPro's Pro Mendel printer as they have about 10 at their unit in Bath where they print the plastic parts and they use their own machine, the exact one I am buying and have them running 24/7 printing sheets of parts to a 150 micron resolution that look great (for nicer looking surfaces it will run 100 micron but obviously a bit slower. All reviews are good and its known as being a serious workhorse printer.
With the Triple extruder multi colour/material system installed its going to be a force to be reckoned with!
Its simple (ish)
Designed by the founder of RepRap (the entire worldwide project)
Prints good quality at a good speed
And is proven to be a printer that keeps printing due to how many parts their printer farm prints a week!

I already have 2 very small but hugely useful ideas to prototype that I know 1 of would be wanted by alot of people, adafruit sell an item that does the same job but is expensive and WAY over the top and still sells 10 or so a day! That one could be a real winner if my theory is sound but I wont know till I can print a PLA body around the tiny PCB that holds the key! Im pretty confident. Its not Kickstarter level but I think it will be something that stores like Phenoptix/Ciseco and Cool Components etc... would all sell well, Its also a very quick print and only 4 solder joints so running off batches of 20 on an overnight print would be easy.

2nd Idea is expanding on a fairly new extremely helpful USB Dongle just an inch long that was funded through KS last year and did 750% and finished shipping just before xmas and the makers are now selling their original version on their website. Its fully open source and has a decent modding following, however the original makers have made hacking the MCU fairly hard despite them saying that it being hackable sold alot of the units and was one of the main selling points they use/d, I plan to re-do it with some hardware changes and using a slightly larger enclosure (it will be higher and a little longer but same width to allow other USB devices to fit either side.
Its slightly more complicated in terms of electronics (I will need to have a sheet of PCB's printed and they will have all SMD Parts although I will try and use 0805 or larger so they are easier to build as a kit or from a manufacturing POV, but its a simple meshing the two parts an ABS Case in two halves that the USB Plug back end and the PCB fit into before closing it up and sealing with either glue but ideally a small screw so it can be opened easily & hacked (A clue : it has my #1 favorite MCU in it, the ATtiny85 in one of 2 SMD configs (not decided yet which) based on their very low profile.

Anyway back on point, Prototyping will be its main job and eventually once I know the machine and even maybe started on a 2nd by making the parts on #1, then I hope to be able to offer a service for fast prototyping (Inc 3 colour or hybrid material blends - no where really does this yet for a sensible price to everyday makers and hackers like us! It will of course be for a great price to users like the people who post here and it may help fund my Big Toy #2....
Supporter of Official Arduinos - BeagleBone - RasPi + EVE
-PROUD OWNER OF RepRap PRO MENDEL 3D PRINTER-
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

Twitter Feed : Raw_Gaming

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352
JoinedCOLON Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Sheffield UK

Postby dec0y7 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:51 pm

And this is one of the things I love about the interweb and forums like this:
Different people from different walks of life sharing ideas and taking them from basic ideas to finished projects.

I'm working on a new site at the min that (I'm hoping) will help people get into circuits/electronics, I've got the domain learnbasiccircuits.co.uk which will focus on......well, learning basic circuits from the start ie using a breadboard to light a LED. Started as an idea my oldest give me.

I started thinking it was going to be a quick and easy site but is getting bigger every day.

Might have to call on some of you to spell/grammar check the site before it goes live because as you may have noticed I'm just the best at my spelling and grammar plus my thought get mixed up and I tend to put things in random orders which only makes sense to me haha
tis Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

Return to