Sound reactive multi-mode LED kit/ box! (car?)

Got a project in mind? Post it in here to get help from the forums. No idea too crazy or mundane!
Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm
LocationCOLON Bridgwater, Somerset, England
CONTACTCOLON

Sound reactive multi-mode LED kit/ box! (car?)

Postby Almurray42 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:09 am

Hey guys!

Have had an idea for a new project;

My initial thought came from my exitation when I first saw sound reactive led's mounted around a speaker. I thought it would be awesome to get some of these fitted in my car so I did a little research.
From what I found, the best way is to use a transistor called a TIP31. (TIP31/C seems the most appropriate for the task). The below image was found online and I had downloaded It but cannot remember where I had found it so am unable to provide creditation...
uploadfromtaptalk1357254065997.jpg

Anyway, it works by taking the feed from the left or right output from an auxillery audio cable as the base, and uses it to adjust the voltage sending out through the emitter brought in from the collector (The battery)

The above use that I found was only for powering a few LED's at 3.5 volts(ish) and I plan to make it work with 12v.
From a previous project that I had which involved creating a little circuit board that allows ATTINY controlled functions on the 12v LED strips; I want to combine the two circuits to create a mulifunctional circuit... The previous circuit diagram is shown below.

uploadfromtaptalk1357252979810.jpg

Provided this makes sense so far i'll continue haha!

So I plan to write a program with several different modes which are changeable by a momentary switch that is externally attatched.

So far I want it to have 4 Modes:
1: Off
2: On - Plain
3: On - "Fader" Mode
4: Sound reactive mode

One issue I have to overcome is that it will need to be able to get its audio input from two sources. One will work as the first circuit taking It from an auxillery cable, and the second option would be to make it work from a car head unit audio output.

I am awaiting my Tip31C transistors in the post, and I will experiment with them in various situations to see how I can get it to work from the head unit.

I plan to get a prototype made once I have sussed it, before going on to order some PCB's from the recommended company Ben told me about. I will then get some designs sent to phenoptix to get an acrylic enclosure made up on their wonderful laser cutter!

Provided it all goes well I hope to make several and see if they sell well with friends, and HOPEFULLY I can whack it up for sale as my first product on my website! (Fingers Crossed)
//////////This is aimed mainly at Ben; From experience how do you reckon I should go about promoting it as a product and possibly get a patent pending on it? (Provided it does not already have protection :P ) ////////

Anyway, haven't posted in a while so I'll keep anyone updated with this project of mine and please feel free to throw in any suggestions or assistance!

Al
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 1 on Almurray42, edited 0 times in total.
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 pm
LocationCOLON Wells, Somerset, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Sound reactive multi-mode LED kit/ box! (car?)

Postby vimes79 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:59 am

Sounds like a nice project. Looking forward to seeing this come together and work.

I keep thinking about doing something with sound, I have never worked with it outside of my Atari Punk II Synth that a bought here at Phenoptix as a kit by Iain @ Lush Projects.
I keep falling back to that Adafruit 'duino music/sound shield and an Idea in my head currently is yet another for Robo Brrd that seems to be the central point of all my ideas currently...
I was thinking about giving Robo Brrd a couple of drum sticks and then hook up the 2 wing servos to be sound reactive to beats and maybe the beak to react to higher pitches and maybe even dial it in so the beak reacts only to voice/singing and the wings with drumsticks to any beat...
I dont even know if its possible yet, will be very interested to see how you get on with your sound-reactive kit and maybe get some pointers from you if you get it all working.
Supporter of Official Arduinos - BeagleBone - RasPi + EVE
-PROUD OWNER OF RepRap PRO MENDEL 3D PRINTER-
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

Twitter Feed : Raw_Gaming

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:09 pm

[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:53 pm

Sorry I missed this! Jan has been a busy month!

Making a product and promoting it has already begun, you've posted on youtube, make the most of your facebook and also make sure people can buy it from somewhere! Ebay is the easiest place to get started. I've been guilty of not doing this in the past, and still am to some extent! We have too many 'under the counter' products.

As for the patent, I've never sought one! They say never say never but I don't think I ever will. I don't think you can actually protect a circuit design and you'll certainly never stop people copying the design. Open it up and share it so that the good guys can copy it as well as the scumbags! Acid Mods open sourced their rapid fire, but didn't allow commercial use, so what happened the good guys (like us!) left well alone - where as the dickbags of the world ripped off the designs and made their eBay fortunes from it.

Nathan Seidle of Sparkfun puts it rather well in this talk

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:30 am

No worries! I'm really excited by this project, have decided that open sourcing it would be the best method to take, especially seeing as I'll be seeking a little bit of help where offered!

I have since done a bit of playing around with my arduino and am working on some code for mode switching and pulse mode etc,
I'll definitely put it on eBay when they are done and share it like mad over Facebook!
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

Return to