LED circuits

Got a project in mind? Post it in here to get help from the forums. No idea too crazy or mundane!
Rich
Above Average
PostsCOLON 89
JoinedCOLON Fri May 04, 2012 12:43 am
LocationCOLON Chesterfield
CONTACTCOLON

LED circuits

Postby Rich » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:26 pm

This site has some good little LED circuits:

http://www.hobby-circuits.com/circuits/led-and-light

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426
JoinedCOLON Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:21 pm
LocationCOLON Crewkerne,Somerset

Re: LED circuits

Postby bigal344 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:47 pm

Another collection of great little projects for me to do, just what I needed! :o
Seriously though I should be able to make some of those from bits in my electronics box!

Today I have been mostly Nyaning.

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 pm
LocationCOLON Wells, Somerset, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:01 pm

Thanks for the link, LED Circuits are always good!
There is no limit to the amount of and the size of LED projects, more blinkies = :D

Am myself playing around with some RGB sets at the moment. I bought a couple of different models from the ThingM range of programmable RGB LED Modules and am now working with some surface mount RGB's, a piece of proto board (smaller is better) and my Arduino Ethernet along with the ongoing Thermal Printer Project im working on with the 'duino Ethernet. I am trying to work something out so I have a bright RGB LED mounted in a block of moulded PolyMorph thermoplastic to diffuse the light and make the cube glow, and set it up so it lights different colours for different internet events (Its all Twitter currently 1 colour for a Private Message and another for a Mention etc...). I want to try and get this whole thing working as one so the lighting built into the acrylic printer case/unit glows a different colour when a new event occurs and then prints the information either automatically or via a button push.
Its really starting to come along (although I ended up handing the coding over to my friend as I was getting a little out of my depth. I could do it but it would take ALOT longer due to checking and looking up information etc.. im still trying to be as involved in creating and editing the code as possible as its the best way to learn.)

I have been keeping a photo record of it from start to present but on Saturday I used the same camera at my mums 60th Birthday and when I got home I viewed all the files on the camera screen and saw that the project photos along with the new birthday party photos were close to the 4GB Limit on that particular SD card and so I powered off the camera and removed the SD as usual but when I plugged it into my PC there were just 20-30 pics that I took last xmas and all the photos since then were no where to be found and the SD card was showing as being near enough empty with nearly all its space free. I plugged it back into the camera and had the same results of not having any of my recent pics (last backup was during the Olympics when I was at the Sailing in Weymouth most days and cleared the card each night or swapped a well used SD out for an empty one). Am not a happy bunny! Im hoping someone at work tomorrow will know of some trick to get back lost data from an SD card as it can't just of vanished surely.

Anyway On Topic again, The Project (both the RGB Announcer and the Printer with RGB Announcer) are all still in breadboard stages, in pieces still or parts are just mocked up on prototype small boards, so all is not lost and I can re-photo it all again to post the build log. Next up I need to shoot Ben some details for a little laser cutting for the printer case.

But yeah, I LOVE LED's and am always happy to see a new idea that uses them, they truly are the Bread and Butter of Electronics!

Ooo and a PS.
I have recently finished soldering the LED's onto my LoL shield and got it plugged into an absolute bare bones Uno Clone with not much onboard except the 328P-PU, A few caps & resistors, Crystal, a reset button (90 degree side mounted for easy access when a shield is in place), LED, and headers.
I have done a few simple animations the hard way but have now done some really cool animations that max out the storage on the ATmega using the LoL Theater at http://lolshield.falldeaf.com/ which is an excellent tool and saves a lot of time and is great for complex patterns and animation. A must use site for all LED Loving LoL Shield Owners!

Finally, my Phenoptix designed TinyCylon kit arrived last week and I will be getting that put together tomorrow evening. I programmed the ATtiny85 earlier with my new toy (Bus Pirate from Dangerous Prototypes - which is pretty sweet!) instead of my usual USBasp or USBTiny or even an Arduino, it was a bit fiddly but in the end I used a spare blank 3rd party arduino shield that has 20 SOIC pads going back to standard through hole pins and attached 8 dip headers to the corresponding pins on the SOIC ATtiny with it just laying carefully lined up with a little weight added on top to keep all 8 pins held on a solid connection without having to solder and then de-solder. It programmed without problem first time and is now ready for soldering to the Cylon Board along with the 12 SMD LED's and 4 SMD Resistors.
I am looking forward to getting this going as I have never actually ever got around to building a Larson/Cylon Scanner myself for some reason.
I will be taking photos with my super macro lens and will publish on the forums here along with a brief build guide to get people started, as at present their isn't one, so mine can just be as a stop gap to give people the basic info and best order to build the kit. The toughest part IMO is programming the MCU as it takes some time to do it the best way you can with the kit you have, but its do-able with an Arduino so everyone should be able to come up with a solution after a quick Google search for ways to do it with the programmer or Arduino you have.
Supporter of Official Arduinos - BeagleBone - RasPi + EVE
-PROUD OWNER OF RepRap PRO MENDEL 3D PRINTER-
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

Twitter Feed : Raw_Gaming

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:12 am

Great projects there Rich, thanks for the share! Vimesy, wow another stonking update. Some exciting stuff though. I met Ian from Dangerous prototypes at the Maker Faire and we'll be stocking some of their products, probably in the next couple of weeks. Can't wait to see the high res pics!

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 pm
LocationCOLON Wells, Somerset, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:10 pm

That would be awesome to stock some of Dangerous Prototype's gear. I have their Bus Pirate as I said before which is a damn cool piece of kit. I have just ordered the LCD Display module for it to which will be pretty handy and only about £8 inc 7 day shipping from HK (I think)! Their gear is excellent quality and at a really good set of prices. I'm very happy to hear you will be dealing with them soon!

I won a free PCB Voucher from them on their Sunday Give Away (They give away a PCB Voucher to 2 people 3 times a week (by Twitter - Tuesdays, FaceBook - Fridays, Website - Sundays) which you can use to buy their unpopulated PCB's from their site (can't buy with real money), they are generally seconds that have smudged printing or a hole or pad just out of place, all are still functional tho if you are prepared to put it all together with some pretty tiny SMD parts. They don't have many in stock currently so am waiting for them to re-fill the PCB Drawer (which I think they do at the beginning of each month with leftovers from whatever they have made batches of during the previous).
Once you finish the PCB and get it together and then post a photo in the forums then they will give you another code so you can get another PCB to try and build...

As tempted as I am to get one of the really sweet PCB's they have for their top end products, I really don't fancy soldering a 64Pin+ MCU! I will be sticking with the less loaded boards that I can find uses for and also get some practice in to tune up my SMD soldering skills and might even get round to making the Tesco Value Toaster Hack that turns it on its side, remove one 'Slice' worth of heating elements and the spring mechanism (for obvious reasons) and add a thermocouple to make a nice little Soldering Oven that works with solder paste and can do a 2"x3" board in very good time... Something a bit like this : [urlhttp://pickandplace.wordpress.com/tag/toaster-hack/[/url]
Supporter of Official Arduinos - BeagleBone - RasPi + EVE
-PROUD OWNER OF RepRap PRO MENDEL 3D PRINTER-
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

Twitter Feed : Raw_Gaming

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:56 pm

Think that soldering toaster is a must build! Just to note (most of you know) we have dangerous prototypes gear in stock now!

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426
JoinedCOLON Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:21 pm
LocationCOLON Crewkerne,Somerset

Postby bigal344 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:27 am

Soldering toaster??

This requires further investigation methinks.

Today I have been mostly Nyaning.

Return to