tsop48 prototype pcb

Got a project in mind? Post it in here to get help from the forums. No idea too crazy or mundane!
dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352
JoinedCOLON Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Sheffield UK

tsop48 prototype pcb

Postby dec0y7 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:45 pm

Ok so I'm thinking about designing and printing my own pcb with a tsop48 footprint on it, not much more need really but and here is the big but lol I've never done it before. Is it worth trying or better just looking for cheap pcb's from china already done
tis Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Re: tsop48 prototype pcb

Postby phenoptix » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:59 pm

Something I can definitely help with! I've been having a go with a program called KiCad. It's fairly easy to use and free, which is a big bonus. I don't know the tsop48 though, what is it? I've also had some PCBs made recently so know where you could get a prototype run of say 10 done for about £20 delivered.

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352
JoinedCOLON Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Sheffield UK

Postby dec0y7 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:14 pm

The tsop48 I'm going to be using is a nand chip. I only need to use about 18 of the legs but best to solder all of them. I will check out the software in a min and that's a nice price for the prototype ;)
tis Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

xanthic
Above Average
PostsCOLON 87
JoinedCOLON Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:03 am

Postby xanthic » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:31 pm

I'm also wanting to get some PCBs made up, though each is probably going to be a one off. Is there anywhere that will do that or is it worth getting the kit?

I've made up an Arduino powered aquarium light controller, which is working fine on breadboard. I could make it up onto stripboard, but would prefer a PCB. I'll post the code if anyone is interested.

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745

Postby phenoptix » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:39 pm

Certainly interested in seeing it! I used itead http://imall.iteadstudio.com/open-pcb/pcb-prototyping.html for mine and they were great. For a one off you might wait 6 weeks, if you want faster though it's going to cost you more!

xanthic
Above Average
PostsCOLON 87

Postby xanthic » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:01 pm

The code is here - http://xanthic.co.uk/AquaLights.ino

Currently, it does sunrise and sunset if you want it and runs the moon light for an hour after the lights go down. Might add a function so you can tweak that. Probably not the best coding, but still learning C.

The PCB would be pretty basic, just needs an Arduino, clock and the power transistors to run the LED lights.

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745

Postby phenoptix » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:25 am

Looks great! And you've got it doing what you want it to do! Deserves it's own thread in the Arduino section I reckon!
Want to work on it to make an Aquarium lighting shield?

xanthic
Above Average
PostsCOLON 87

Postby xanthic » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:11 am

I'd not considered a shield. It would make it accessible for others to quickly build it too. I'd be very interested in that.

I had to use splashproof LED strips, as I was using the original tank lid (I didn't want to have to make a new one). Each strip draws 250 mW so with an Arduino you'd want at least a 1.5A PSU. I used 2 x cool white and 2 x warm white to emulate the original tubes, but found running the moon light brought the colour temperature up in the tank and made it look "cleaner".

Transistor wise, I used a 2N2222 for the moon light and a BD139 for the main lights as it can take 1.5A. There might be better choices, but that's what I've got!

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426
JoinedCOLON Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:21 pm
LocationCOLON Crewkerne,Somerset

Postby bigal344 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:39 pm

Firstly, I've now ditched PCB artist that I did have on my comp and downloaded KiCad. (If for no other reason, I can at least compare and beg help from Ben!! :lol: )
Also without wishing to deviate from Matt's original post anymore, I would definitely be very interested in seeing more of your aquarium lighting project Xanthic.
My own day/night LDR controlled lighting has been stalled for a little while now due to lack of time, but I love the idea of an Arduino controlled lighting system, mainly down to the amount of control that you'd have over the lights.

Today I have been mostly Nyaning.

xanthic
Above Average
PostsCOLON 87

Postby xanthic » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:42 am

Apologies for the massive threadjack... :oops:

I'm going to give KiCAD a try. I downloaded Eagle and it's UI is not straightforward.

Return to