Help With SMD Led Chaser/Nightrider? For Xbox!

Got a project in mind? Post it in here to get help from the forums. No idea too crazy or mundane!
phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Re: Help With SMD Led Chaser/Nightrider? For Xbox!

Postby phenoptix » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:48 am

Well the hoping (and learning to use the PCB design software) worked out well!
Going to put together some instructions and get the kit live soon!

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm
LocationCOLON Bridgwater, Somerset, England
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Woo! Top job! Can't wait to take advantage of all your hard work :P
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426
JoinedCOLON Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:21 pm
LocationCOLON Crewkerne,Somerset

Postby bigal344 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:14 pm

Excellent work chaps, these look to be a great little product and another surefire top seller! ;)

Today I have been mostly Nyaning.

markp
Harmless
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:41 am

Postby markp » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:01 am

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I picked up one of these boards from EMFcamp at the weekend and want a couple more to make some 'snowfall' Xmas tree decorations (smaller versions of these that I built last year:
http://youtu.be/cH1GPk90JgI

I know I can get the white SMD LEDs from you, but what about an SMD ATtiny?

Any idea how long these things will run on a coin cell?

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744

Postby phenoptix » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:39 am

How do Mr P, I'll get them up as a kit before the week is out. Never worry about restarting old threads on here, I have never understood the problem with that.

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 pm
LocationCOLON Wells, Somerset, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:36 pm

SWEET! Just seen that you have put these up as stock again.
Was thinking about making a Larson Scanner/Cylon Scanner soon anyway, now its just made it much easier! Now I can stick it to my head and walk round Tesco's!

Another Thank You! and more items and kits like this please, everyone loves a nice kit or something new to play with.

I just ordered a short strip of your RGB SMD LED sticky bendy tapey stuff too, not sure what to do with that yet but been meaning to buy a 10cm piece to have a play with for a while for some inspiration and the Cylon kit gave me the excuse as it takes it up over the minimum spend. Ooo it would be pretty cool to use inside the case im building for my Mini Printer to light up behind the little clear cut out window in the front... ideas ideas....
I spend a fortune on electronic goodies to play with... Hey I don't drink or do much else in my spare time except a bit of Photography, Walking my dog up around the local hills and woodland or either sitting at home at my work bench or at my computer and electronics is cheaper than pr0n :D

I know these things are a nightmare to get off the ground which is why companies go to places like Adafruit to get stock, BUT you should try and get some more of your own kits made up. Electronics and engineering seems to be coming back into being a popular and fairly in-expensive hobby again. Last time it was booming like this was during the Sinclair, Acorn era and the initial public availability of the Micro Processor and the choice of buying a Calculator, basic Computer or Radio as a pre built model or in kit form all during the late 70's-90's when building your own computer was a fairly popular hobby and Tandy/Maplins/RS had shops in most towns, I got my first soldering iron and a half decent electronics lab/kit when I was 11 or 12 (90/91) when I spent a week staying with my DIY Mad Uncle who at the time was a Programmer for Fujitsu and we spend the week re-wiring the entire upstairs lighting circuit of his house, laying board over the whole attic floor for the building by us of a 4 lane replica of silverstone out of his insanely big collection of scalextric and replacing the rear suspension and brakes on his classic TR7 he had just bought, he took me out to a electronics/model shop on the last day I was there and bought me a electronics kit with my first breadboard, some perf board and a soldering kit, bags of leds, caps, resistors etc and sent me home with it all as well as his old Acorn Atom (which I still today have in mint condition plugged into my TV next to my old Sinclair Speccy and Atari 2600 with all the boxes and books carefully put away in the attic!) and that xmas he severely pissed my parents off (Again) by buying me a brand new top end IBM 386 PC!!! I think for some reason thats where my engineering interest began and the week in my life I owe my career and last 20 years of interests to. Soon after though the whole electronics thing as a popular hobby just kind of slumped off generally as home PC's boomed again as well as the console wars and then the internet and mobile phones came out at prices that Joe Public could afford and everyone started buying pre-made mass produced crap and kids like me back then and adult hobbyists found themselves with few suppliers and expensive parts so started doing other things or sticking purely to PC building and modding (and the overclocking era began)....

Its so good to see it becoming so popular again over the past 4 or 5 years, things like the Pi, Arduino and the huge reduction in price on components as well as open source projects, Linux releases and of course Android devices as well as other factors in the last 5 years have helped it im sure.

I cant even explain how much im loving getting back into it all and learning the latest tech and methods, its why I get so excited when I see something new like this Larson/Cylon scanner kit pop up, as I just love making things and seeing the results of the hard work you put into carefully building something bit by bit then firing it up and seeing it burst into life is just amazing!

Cheers guys!

PS, Sorry for another rather long post drifting way off topic. You will notice I have a bad habit of over explaining situations and ideas, so in advance I apologize for boring anyone while trying to make a very simple point in most cases!
Supporter of Official Arduinos - BeagleBone - RasPi + EVE
-PROUD OWNER OF RepRap PRO MENDEL 3D PRINTER-
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

Twitter Feed : Raw_Gaming

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 pm
LocationCOLON Wells, Somerset, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:56 am

Just finished my Cylon/Larson Scanner today.
Ben, you have done a great job with it, its a lovely little kit and ideal for people as an introduction to working with SMD's and getting their SMD soldering skills up a little or even just as an Evening or Rainy day project!

The only problem I have to report is that I found the 2 rows of 4 pads for the 8 Pin ATTiny85 are a little close together and the IC requires some inventive (and very careful!) bending of the 8 legs to gain enough of the pad to solder the legs to, this ends up pushing the actual body of the IC up above the board by about 0.5 mm or so. Using a flux pen before hand helps alot as it allows the solder to flow better and more equally under and around each leg to create 8 solid joints.
Its certainly no big issue and easily rectified. I am only bringing it up as feedback for a Beta build and in case you decide to make a v0.4 model at which point you could push the pads out a little or make them slightly longer.

The build is not too bad, I wouldn't recommend it for a novice with little soldering experience, but if you are happy and confidant soldering through hole parts then you wont have any trouble doing this as long as you are patient, careful and take your time.

I would recommend buying a very fine point tip for your iron, I use an Antex XS25 and got myself one of the fantastic Antex Copper 0.12mm SMD Tips (Antex #57), it really helps especially on the IC (as you can heat a small area very quickly) but it is NOT essential. If you do buy a copper or any other fine pointed tip then make sure you only use on SMD's or in tricky small gaps for other parts, remember to swap it out for doing through hole as they don't last long at all and working on larger through hole parts quickly wears them out. The #57 tip is listed on the Phenoptix eBay store for £6.99 which is a good price and worth owning one for those very small jobs.

I built half of my kit with my iron alone (including the ATTiny MCU) and finished it off using a combination of my iron and my new SMD hot air solder station (which is a very very handy tool to own if you are planing a lot of SMD work as I am)

Am going to get myself another few of these (hopefully Ben will sell me just the boards) to play around with as I have all the other parts here already to make a bunch of them, ideal SMD practice and you can never have enough blinkies!

Am thinking of mounting one in my PC case as a replacement for the HDD Activity light or may just build one in to the front some where and have it on a switch...
Supporter of Official Arduinos - BeagleBone - RasPi + EVE
-PROUD OWNER OF RepRap PRO MENDEL 3D PRINTER-
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

Twitter Feed : Raw_Gaming

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744

Postby phenoptix » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:02 pm

All the feedback on this is greatly appreciated. V0.4 should be done early next year. Incorporating as much feedback as possible! More products on the way too!

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm
LocationCOLON Bridgwater, Somerset, England
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:05 am

Still haven't done mine yet! :( I think it will be great to try a multicolour version, so in my next order I'll get various 0805` s if they are stocked :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744

Postby phenoptix » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:34 am

With a multicolour version I Haf thought you'd need to group the colours in threes due to the resistor sharing. But thinking about it you could probably use a mixture of 3v ish LEDs on the same resistor.

Return to