Help With SMD Led Chaser/Nightrider? For Xbox!

Got a project in mind? Post it in here to get help from the forums. No idea too crazy or mundane!
Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm
LocationCOLON Bridgwater, Somerset, England
CONTACTCOLON

Help With SMD Led Chaser/Nightrider? For Xbox!

Postby Almurray42 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:29 am

Hi there Guys!
Right basically I am taking on a project totally modding out another one of my xbox 360 controllers, and what I really want to do is add in an LED chaser much like the one below (i do not own this video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnIC6kXXONE

What I want to do is have about 10 0603 LED's Running In Chaser, BUT with the Sync Button as the Mode changer... I'm sure this can be done as many rapid fire mod kits are wired into the sync button.
What I am asking is...
1: What components Will I need
2: How Will I wire them
3: WILL THEY FIT!?
4: If programming is necessary... How!?

Sorry for asking so many questions But I would Be so greatful if I could Get some help on this one as I think It would look awesome! (I May even Give a small donation or gift to anyone who helps me with this!)

Again Thankyou for any input and Happy Modding!
Al.
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Re: Help With SMD Led Chaser/Nightrider? For Xbox!

Postby phenoptix » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:37 pm

Hi Al, seems like an interesting project. I've recently made one on an arduino, but I'm sure you can make one with far less hardware. A quick search and it seems I was right, all you'd need is tiny2313 (a chip I can get in for about £2.50 a piece), the LEDs and a power supply (the controller batteries I'd say). The chip is a bit bigger than the pic used in the video but with that particular one you can only have 8 LEDs, using a bigger chip means you can have more LEDs. There's space for it in the controller for sure. You'll also need a way of programming the chip though, which fortunately I worked out this week, using an arduino...
Just realised that a cylon controller would be super sexy, also I know Matt has been talking about a knightrider console.

So that's
1: 10 LEDs and a microchip
2: We'll work that out next
3: We'll make them fit goddamit
4: Covered, I'll do a tut on it and can program the chips for free if you don't have / want to have an arduino or other programming method.

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744

Postby phenoptix » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:44 pm

Hi Al, seems like an interesting project. I've recently made one on an arduino, but I'm sure you can make one with far less hardware. A quick search and it seems I was right, all you'd need is tiny2313 (a chip I can get in for about £2.50 a piece), the LEDs and a power supply (the controller batteries I'd say). The chip is a bit bigger than the pic used in the video but with that particular one you can only have 8 LEDs, using a bigger chip means you can have more LEDs. There's space for it in the controller for sure. You'll also need a way of programming the chip though, which fortunately I worked out this week, using an arduino...
Just realised that a cylon controller would be super sexy, also I know Matt has been talking about a knightrider console.

So that's
1: 10 LEDs and a microchip
2: We'll work that out next
3: We'll make them fit goddamit
4: Covered, I'll do a tut on it and can program the chips for free if you don't have / want to have an arduino or other programming method.

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:48 am

Hi! Its Been a while Scince I've Posted on the good old forums! :D
Just recently bough A load Of Xbox controller parts + NPN transistors from your ebay shop! Thanks! :)

Anways... After more thinking about it, I only want 8 LED's Becuase It just makes it more complex and will be harder to fit in... So My Components need to be:
: SMD(0603?) Red Led's x8
: Microchip <------------------
(Could I maybe Get an invoice for one? That would be great if you could program it too! I dont mind paying! Expertise comes at a price haha!)
---------------
I'm trying to get my head around how it will work...
How Many Pins on the Chip? I'm assuming some values below (Correct me if I'm wrong..) (Not Finished)

PIN 1: +3V From Direct
PIN 2: Ground
PIN 3: To Sync Button For On/Off + Mode Change

I Should really do some research of my own but i'm baffled as to how it works!

I would love to learn how to program chips eventually but hopefully i will be covering that soon at college! (Studying Engineering + Electronics)

I'll Keep Updated On this thread and when I Start I will Upload WIP pics :) Am actually quite excited about this! Even Got myself An Xbox Shell To Mod Afterwards!

Thanks again,
Al
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:53 am

*Forgot To add I Am willing to take out the small Rumble motor so there will be space in the controller handle for the chip+wiring etc.

Al
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:31 pm

*Bump*
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744

Postby phenoptix » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:05 pm

Sorry Al,
Will try and get on to it this week! Really busy getting set up for Christmas

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:58 pm

Haha, Thats Okay I completely understand... Its pretty hectic at work at the mo!
Dont worry about making it a priority, I'm happy to wait! :) Will be prdering some more stuff from your ebay shop soon anyway! :)
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

k01
Harmless
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:09 am

Postby k01 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:54 pm

are we sure about it fitting in nice and well? i mean if you would make it "on thin air" then yeah, sure it will fit. but if you're trying to fit in the whole pcb (like the video) will there be enough space then? don't get me wrong - it's not like you can't fit anything there, it's just that the fact that there will be a hard "plank" in there worries me. :)

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744

Postby phenoptix » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:49 am

You wouldn't need to use the whole PCB in the controller just an 8 pin microchip really, similar to what you use for rapid fire controllers, and we know they can fit! There's loads of space in a controller when you really need it!
Welcome to the forum k01.

Return to