Ben and RoboBrrd responable for chance re-connection...

For everything else
vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 pm
LocationCOLON Wells, Somerset, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Ben and RoboBrrd responable for chance re-connection...

Postby vimes79 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:24 pm

WOW! That was surreal and a real act of fate... Because My RoboBrrd arrived unexpectedly this morning, (Stay with me on this, its a bit of a long one...) I stayed in rather then leave to go to move some stuff to the new house, I put the electric fire on and the kettle which I wouldn't of done if I had gone out, by doing that the electric on my key meter ran out, so I had to drive to the nearest shop to refill the key, the usual shop had no where to park so I drove on to the next one, went in and had to queue for 10mins, as I came out and started walking back to the car I noticed a guy coming down the pavement in a wheel chair missing both legs, but didn't really pay attention and just stepped off the pavement to get out his way, as he came past me, he smacked me in the stomach and as I looked down to say "What the Fu@k????" I saw it was a real good buddy I had for a few years up till about 5 years ago when he suddenly got a new place and moved away and who I haven't seen since!!! Who recognised me and gave me a friendly jab when he noticed I hadn't recognised him...

What a series of events that shouldn't by rites of happened today, and chance meeting up and connecting with an old friend! This guy kept me sane for the 2 or 3 years we lived next door to each other when I lived in Yeovil, was my drinking buddy, he even introduced me to Gardening and got me growing my own veg and stuff in the back garden we shared (but was split in 2), it was a long time ago and in a town a ways away!
I asked (pretty unsubtly as those who know me know I do) "What the fu@k happened to your legs?" as you could see plainly he had, had a double amputation above the knees, expecting an Afghanistan or Iraq horror story as we all have heard to many of, he just replied "Oh yeah, it was a nightmare, They fell off!!!" and of course with my brain automatically expecting a horror story I automatically replied "Sh1t man, im sorry that's terrible.... WHAT?????" LOL.
Turns out he had some serious circulation issues from a defect he has had since birth and had the choice of painful surgery every 3 or 4 years for the rest of his life or a double amputation, so he chose to have them cut off after the first surgery was so nasty and painful that he couldn't bare to continue a life having that every few years and being on morphine permanently for the rest of his life! He doesn't regret it really at all, he can drive, still get about pretty much as normal and is due to start physio to have some state of the art prosthetics that allow almost normal walking!

So once again, THANK YOU BEN!!! Your gesture of kindness this morning led directly to me randomly bumping into and re-connecting with a very good old friend who I had unfortunately lost touch with and would most likely not ever had the chance to bump into again (as he doesn't even live here or anywhere near my new place, he wast just here to go to an appointment) if I hadn't of run out of power due to staying here longer this morning due to the arrival of RoboBrrd! Now I have a phone number, email and address and can stay in touch!
What an amazing thing don't you think???? Im blown away by how so many random things led to something so significant. Even things like me waiting at some traffic lights for a min and parking where I parked all led up to that one crossing of paths!
Brilliant!
Supporter of Official Arduinos - BeagleBone - RasPi + EVE
-PROUD OWNER OF RepRap PRO MENDEL 3D PRINTER-
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

Twitter Feed : Raw_Gaming

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352
JoinedCOLON Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Sheffield UK

Re: Ben and RoboBrrd responable for chance re-connection...

Postby dec0y7 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:27 pm

Mods, LED's, R pi, good guys and now bringing back old friends.

Due to an illness I've had/have I come close to losing all movement to one side of me, I was lucky that it was found early and I'm recovering well so I know a bit of how he feels. I am on 14 tabs a day to keep it under control but I've started reducing them and over the next year ish I hope to have at least 90% movement and strength back and be off the tabs that's the reason I can't work or get a new job as nowhere is will to set me on, hence I have loads of time on my hands lol
tis Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:17 pm

Yeah I know it too, I had an accident at work early in the year and was laid up 24/7 for 2 months and am still going to pain clinic once a month to review my meds and to physio twice a week to get some strength back and loose some of the 7 STONE!!!! I put on while laid up! (I was 11 1/2 stone in January and 18 and a bit st by May!!!!)
Its partly why im changing jobs, I cant run rooftops any-more with 12ft Masts covered in Aerials, relays and Antenna, cant keep bending into manholes and pulling cable runs 1/4 mile at a time, cant work most of the Highways and Network Rail jobs that until that happened were my specially and cant use heavy machinery due to the painkillers im on (Dihydrocodeine for the good days and Morphine Sulphate for the painful ones (was 11 different meds but have it down to 6 now some once a day some 4 or 6 times a day depending on pain level), luckily I haven't had a bad pain day for a while as I HATE Morphine with a passion, it makes me feel like crap for days after and plays havok with my stomach, so I really don't blame him for having the extreme surgery to avoid that shit 24/7 for the rest of his life!

Today was a mad old day tho!!
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352
JoinedCOLON Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Sheffield UK

Postby dec0y7 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:15 am

I know what you mean about the Morphine as I've still got 500ml that I refuse to take because of the side effects.

At the start of it all I did get down, very down and it was people like your friend that made me want to carry on as I was seeing people having ops like that and still being happy and upbeat, thats when I returned to this site and started modding again, I made a post somewhere. My first mod after picking myself up was a simple button swap on a xbox pad but after I had finish I got the passion back then moved onto learning to solder again and here I am now.

So I've got enough respect for people that have gone though any kind of illness and picked them self up. Modding, tinkering should be a must to keep people active.
tis Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:44 pm

Its weird, after my accident I completely lost interest in gaming, I have tried everything but cant get back into it. For the previous 7 years, PC FPS, RTS and MMORPG gaming was my life and as some of you know I founded, setup and built RaW Gaming, a community for MP gamers based on respect and good attitudes instead of the usual skill based nonsense. that was 3 and a half years ago and before that I was extremely active in the Call of Duty and Battlefield Multi Player communities. After I was at home for all that time and unable to sit comfortably enough and pain free enough to actually play for more then 15 mins, I just slid off and lost interest, I have tried getting into every decent PC game that has come out in the past year but none have taken. I still own all the community servers, websites and domains and keep an eye on things and make the odd fix to the server box if it falls over but I ended up passing control over to the general day to day manager as he still had a passion for it and had been with me from the first few weeks and still enjoys playing, I couldn't justify pretending to be in control and charge when I wasn't getting involved in anything in our Teamspeak 3 VOIP server or any of our supported games and dedi servers. I have a £3000 top spec gaming PC sat here that I do nothing on except browse the net and watch films and TV (Since the 32" screen is bigger then my TV!).

Its weird, I have just bought CoD : Black Ops 2 and will install at the weekend once I have moved my main PC down to Wells and onto the sweet new dual PC desk I bought this week (Half for gaming PC and half for my lappy and "Finished and Whole" Electronics like by 'duino Due, IoT Electronic Fortune Teller (Thermal IoT Printer) and the set up I have ready for the EVE kit when it arrives from Ciseco ready to Alpha test and get some cool IoT things going on (Including a very cool webcam Idea I was put onto today! (nothing dirty) and other bits like my 2nd Pi Pi in its case and my Beagle Bone as a server, basically all the stuff that is neat and tidy enough to keep organised and which doesn't need to be on the build bench with its jumbles of hundreds of jumpers double set of components racks and all my soldering gear etc... I need to find a good place between Gaming, Electronics, Programming and Engineering and my new job (also engineering but in a much different capacity) Also I want to get this Arduino Folding Platform some more attention and hopefully get it ready for a go at a Kickstarter campaign... I must have a chance, I saw a kid on there the other day on track to hit his target of offering to make an e-book out of various doodles and drawings he was going to "custom draw" for every pledge... They were ok but I wouldn't want a book of them especially an e-book, there's plenty of good art to look at online already without the need for more...

I also have a few half empty bottles of that nasty tasting OraMorph sh@t and a few boxes of MST tablets (Locked in my med Safe - Yes a real safe!). I should really take the ones that I have had a while back to the chemist for them to dispose of, I will get it done soon, I guess im holding off as I don't want to tempt fate and get hit with a period of serious pain and be stuck without any thing that make it possible to at least lay still without searing knifes stabbing me in the leg and back (metaphorically) over xmas or while my Dr is away and especially with a change of GP coming up (Staying with the same pain clinic tho).
It is some nasty crap though, I don't understand how people abuse the stuff as everyone I know who has had to be on it or similar for a while hates it due to the side effects (with the exception of Hospital IV morphine on a pain button... that's a little different and nothing like the tablets or syrup)

This move is going to be great tho, new town, new job, new house all of which are awesome so hopefully it will provide me with some motivation to get more active both physically and mentally and start doing some of the things I love again.

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm
LocationCOLON Bridgwater, Somerset, England
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:02 am

Wow, That is an inspiring story! I have a lot of respect for the both of you, fortunately I have been lucky enough not to have had Any severe health issues but I see how hard it can be... And talking of wild random things changing huge events; An Uncle of mine almost got killed by a falling tree, but on his way home on a windy night he stalled his car; and it paid off because the tree fell across the road in front of him and he crashed into it + survived... Two seconds later and it would have crushed him!

Anyway, glad modding has motivated you to get active again!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

Return to